Yesterday, Facebook announced a major change to Pages. It has launched Facebook Timeline for Pages. On March 30, 2012 your Page will automatically get the new design, however you can change over to the new timeline layout now.
CHANGES YOU NEED TO KNOW ABOUT:
1. The display of your page will be different! Your custom profile picture design that you had on your old page, will now be displayed in a small square just below where your cover image will be. The cover image is very similar to your personal profile timeline cover image, however it will be a wonderful feature that you can use to utilize to suit your business or current promotions.
2. Your display will now be in two columns as seen in the screen shot above, and displaying the timeline view,.
3. Your Tabs are not lost, however they are displayed in small boxes across the top of the page, just below the cover image. (see above). Custom landing pages are now removed and the timeline view is the only landing option. Tabs can be arranged to suit your page, displaying the most important ones first. Other tabs are displayed by a drop down box, see a screen shot of the Blue Bird Page below.
4. Regarding the timeline appearance and chronological order of posts, the new Pages has the ability to pin a post to the top of a page and a friend activity box that makes pages more relevant to each user. This is great for companies who can keep their important posts re events/specials at the top of the page.
5. Custom Designed Tabs, now displayed in the new position, will remain the same, but have the option of a wider design now. See Below example of our Welcome Page and how it looks with the new timline changes, without any design changes.
6. Inviting Friends to your page will be easier! The new admin options are very efficient for pages, with a variety of options to conveniently invite friends to your page. There are easy options to invite friends my email, invite friends or share the page.
7. Pinning! This is the new feature I like the best (after the cover photo that is). You have the option to pin a post on your timeline to the top. This can be very helpful for important information that you want your fans to see on opening your page. By pinning the post to the top it won't dissapear into the new timeline world. To pin your post, click on the right hand side of the post and click on the pencil, then on pin to top.
8. Highlighting. You can highlight a post of your choice by clicking on the star on the right hand side of the post. This makes the post the width of the whole timeline and it will stand out from other posts on your page.
We will continue to keep you updated on changes that we discover with the new timeline pages and will update any new information to our blog and also by our email newsletter. If you would like to sign up for the free monthly newsletter you can do so HERE.
I look forward to hearing your thoughts with the new timeline! If you would like a custom cover image created, please contact us for a price.
Until Next Time,
Enter your email to receive our latest Free Marketing Tips!
Judi Gray is the Owner Operator of Blue Bird Internet Marketing and has been assisting small Businesses with their online profiles since 2011.